Sunday, April 23, 2006

H.P. Lovecraft + David Lynch = Silent Hill

I caught a 1:00 showing of Silent Hill, and it is very much an H.P. Lovecraft story if it were told by David Lynch. It's a very surreal, bizarre experience with evil cults and deformed monsters, and a seemingly ambiguous ending that can be confusing if you aren't familiar with the Silent Hill universe. I'll admit, it confused me somewhat, since I've never played any of the games. But after reading some of the theories posted online, I understand it a little better.

Silent Hill is dark, demented, violent, and frightening. However, I do have a couple of minor complaints. The acting is hit-or-miss at times, a particular subplot ends with seemingly no resolution, and I wasn't exactly thrilled with the climax, and the movie sometimes seemed almost too dark (in terms of poor lighting). However, complaints aside, I thought the movie was a very exciting, trippy movie. Three and a half stars for Silent Hill, which just may be the best cinematic adaptation of a video game ever.

That's right, I said it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home