Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Larry The Cable Guy Is Not Funny

I ranted about my dislike for edited-for-TV movies on Saturday, but there's something that's been bugging me a lot more lately: Larry the Cable Guy.

I've seen the commercial for his new movie, Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector, a zillion times over the last week or so, and it looks to be a case of the only funny jokes in the movie getting stuck into the commercial. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really judge it. But if it's anything like Larry's stand-up act, then it'll be a sure-fire Razzie nominee. And if he's a "cable guy," why is he the health inspector? He already has a job. I guess they didn't want to associate it with that Jim Carrey movie The Cable Guy, I don't know.

For those of you who've had the good fortune to never hear of this loser, Larry the Cable Guy is the stage name of Dan Whitney, a member of the "Blue Collar Comedy" troupe. His gimmick is that he's a stereotypical redneck turned up to eleven, to the point that many of his jokes could come across as being racist and homophobic. The rest of his act involves either fart jokes or jokes about non-existent members of his family. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with southern humor. I'm actually a fan Larry's three Blue Collar colleagues, Bill Engvall, Ron White, and Jeff Foxworthy. But what seperates Larry from the other three is the fact that I just don't think he's very funny. Very rarely does he get any real laughs from me personally, as most of the time the only laughing I do is at how lame the majority of his jokes are.

If you like Larry, more power to you. Like everything, your mileage may vary. But I'll stick to the other Blue Collars, Dane Cook, and the late great Mitch Hedberg, thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home