Monday, July 4, 2005

Sutton At The Land Of The Dead

Happy fourth of July, America. And to the rest of the world, happy Monday.

I saw Land of the Dead on June 25th in Frankfort, and I've got mixed feelings regarding it. I thought the performances were good (especially from John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper) and the gore effects and makeup work are awesome, but the movie just didn't have the same gritty low-budget feel as the three prior movies in George Romero's "Dead Quartet." The lack of that grit causes the movie to lose some of the charm that the other three movies had. The movie also loses the feeling of claustrophobia the others had. While Land of the Dead is a quite different beast than its three predecessors, the claustrophobic "no way out" feeling could have made Land of the Dead a lot different. Don't get me wrong, I did like Land of the Dead, and I felt it was the closest realization to Romero's first draft of Day of the Dead as we'll ever get (unless someone remakes Day and uses that original draft as their template). I'll give Land of the Dead a solid three and a half stars out of five.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a particular project for months, and mentioned it a few times right here at this very blog. I gave myself a July 4th target date to post it, but it looks like there's been some complications. I really hate to do this, but it looks like I'm gonna have to give myself an extension. I really wanted to get it done by today, but there's a movie or two that I want to finish, and I'd rather have the project complete. I plan on posting them on a Saturday, so the big day will be dubbed "Super Saturday." When that Saturday will be, it all depends on when I finish the final review. It might be next Saturday, the Saturday after that, a Saturday two weeks from now... but trust me, it'll happen. So start telling your family, your friends, your dog and/or cat, your neighbors, and that little old lady who lives down the street and doesn't even know what the Internet is, because Super Saturday is coming soon. I promise.

And that, my friends, is all. I've got a Twilight Zone marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel calling my name, so I'm gonna wrap it up. Sutton out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home