Friday, December 10, 2004

EC f'n W!

Hey, folks. It's been a while since I last posted, and the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. The rumors that Libby are smart, however... those are true.

If you've been wondering where I've been lately, I have a perfectly good reason: I was out of town. Wednesday night, I went up to the bright lights and big city of Louisville, Kentucky, to visit the hell out of some friends I hadn't seen in months. Without going into detail (since there's not really a lot to say about it, in all honesty), it was a 24-hour party with a bunch of geeks. Warcraft-loving geeks. Good times.

I came home from Louisville on Thursday night with some minor swag too. Picked up a CD by a European rock band none of you have heard of ("Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights" by HIM), and I scored the new "The Rise and Fall of ECW" DVD. As a diehard fan of ECW, I'm absolutely loving the DVD. I still don't like how WWE replaced the original music with in-house stuff they wouldn't have to pay for, but eh, what can you do? The DVD is probably the best that WWE has ever produced, ever. Anyone who has even the slightest of interest in ECW should buy it. It's definitely worth the 19 bucks I paid for it (hooray for Wal-Mart's low prices), and as an ECW fan and a fan of independent wrestling in general, this is definitely the best wrestling DVD I own.

My feelings for the new ECW DVD can be summed up in one word: "wow." This is not only the best ECW DVD I've seen (I still haven't gotten my hands on the Chris Benoit or Eddie Guerrero DVDs yet), but the feature alone ranks up there with Beyond The Mat as a great pro wrestling documentary. It hits almost every major ECW moment, and even a few obscure ones. I never even expected them to even touch on the New Jack/Mass Transit incident. This is so in-depth, I couldn't believe it. They even gave Hat Guy five seconds of glory. I'd have worked in references to Sign Guy, Faith No More Guy, and quite possibly Sunglasses Guy (the Shemp of the ECW Arena Guys), but that's just me. I'm happy they at least highlighted Hat Guy. Good for him.

What also stunned me was this is a WWE DVD that's (for the most part) uncensored. Only once have I seen a performer saying one of the seven dirty words you can't say on TV without getting bleeped (Kurt Angle saying "bullshit" on the Invasion pay-per-view back in 2001), but the only bleeps in this one are there because of they're on the master tape. If there's no bleep on the master tape, then there's no bleep on the DVD. Uncensored ECW is good for you and good for me.

I've got the Ric Flair and "Rise and Fall of ECW" DVDs, so all I need now are the Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero DVDs. I want the Benoit one just for the falls-count-anywhere match with Kevin Sullivan. I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but I love what I've seen. Besides, I'm a huge mark for falls-count-anywhere matches. My only complaint with the Benoit DVD is the lack of the 2004 Royal Rumble match. I can see why they left it off (time issues, and whatnot), but still, it'd be nice to have.

I wanted to catch Blade: Trinity during my excursion to Louisville, but didn't get the chance. Maybe soon, I hope. And I still haven't seen Blade 2. I should get around to that sometime, I guess. I haven't figured out why Triple H's character in Blade: Trinity needs metal fangs. I bet the movie explains it, but it's fun to speculate. Maybe he's trying to be the vampire Flavor Flav, but has his fronts on a payment plan. Maybe he had to get false fangs after losing his real ones to the crippling disease known as gingivitis. Maybe they came from an ill-fated Marvel crossover where he bit Colossus from the X-Men. Or maybe ol' Triple H thought his trusty sledgehammer looked awfully yummy. Whatever the reason behind them, those metal choppers look really, really weird.

Recently added to "Blatant Movie Shilling": High Tension, a French horror movie named Haute Tension overseas. From what I've heard, the movie is insanely violent, and the plot is very similar to the Dean Koontz novel Intensity. But it's a foreign movie that's rated NC-17 (that is, if they don't cut it to get an R before it's released), and five bucks says you'll have to wait until the DVD release to see it. How many theaters show foreign movies rated NC-17? Also added to "Blatant Movie Shilling": the Tom Cruise/Steven Speilberg remake of War of the Worlds. From the look of the trailer (which you can see at the web site), it'll be awesome.

After going through my DVD collection and my Amazon wishlist, I've come to the realization that my DVD addiction has reached massive proportions. Feel free to buy me some new ones. :-P

Wow, this post has gone a lot longer than I expected it to. If you're still reading, you get a cookie. Sutton out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home