Sunday, November 7, 2004

Horror Movie News

I haven't done this in a while, so I'm gonna hit the blog with some Horror Movie News.

First off, with it looking less and less likely that Bruce Campbell's "Ash" character from the Evil Dead trilogy will be involved in Freddy vs. Jason 2, it appears that the good folks at New Line Cinema have a backup plan. Robert Englund gave an interview at the After The Sunset premiere, and he says that New Line is considering adding Michael Myers from the Halloween series to the mix. I'm gonna call shenanigans on this one. I sincerely doubt that Dimension Films and Moustapha Akkad would allow New Line to use Michael Myers. Besides, I don't know how much of a "name" Michael Myers is. Most people just know Michael Myers as the guy that played Austin Powers. The first Halloween is a classic, but outside of diehard horror fans, how many people knew who Michael Myers even was before Halloween H2O? I'd love to see Freddy vs. Jason vs. Michael, but I'd like them to go back to straight Elm Street and Friday The 13th sequels.

Never mind, forget that. Right after I finished typing that, the Freddy vs. Jason vs. Michael rumor was debunked by New Line as just wishful thinking on Robert's part.

A sequel for The Grudge has been greenlighted already. Stephen Susco, who wrote the movie, will return to pen Grudge 2, and Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert, Roy Lee, and Doug Davidson will return as producers. No word yet on if Sarah Michelle Gellar or Takashi Shimizu (who directed not only The Grudge, but the Japanese films that inspired it) will be involved.

Also greenlighted was Saw 2, the sequel to Saw (obviously). Saw scored the second-highest opening weekend in the history of Lions Gate Films (second only to Fahrenheit 9/11), and Saw 2 has been given a release date of October 28, 2005. Lions Gate also gave a release date to Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects, which will hit theaters on August 12, 2005.

It also looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar is on her way to becoming a modern scream queen. She's got Scream 2, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and The Grudge under her belt, as well as spending seven seasons as the title character on Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and she recently signed on for a new supernatural thriller titled Revolver. Asif Kapadia will be directing from an Adam Sussman script, which follows a successful businesswoman whose recurring nightmares push her to investigate the mysterious death of a young woman 25 years earlier. If you ask me, it sounds like a cross between The Ring and Gothika, but I'll save judgment for when I actually see it.

Okay, folks, that's not a lot, but that's all the news that's fit to print. And I'd like to close by saying that Britney Spears's cover of "My Prerogative" just may be one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life. Bobby Brown's version was awful enough, but she went and made it worse. I didn't know a person could sing molten feces, but Britney Spears proved it was possible.

Sutton out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home