Sunday, May 2, 2004

Quickie Movie Reviews

Wow, what a long week it's been. Time flies when you don't bother to update your blog.

Took in a bunch of movies this weekend. Some good, some okay. Here we go with my mini-reviews...

Kill Bill, Volume 1: This movie was nuts, and it was all thanks to Gogo and the Crazy 88s. That black-and-white stuff during said fight with the Crazy 88 kinda threw me off, though. Sure, I know why it was done (an homage to kung-fu movies being censored on TV, combined with the censorship imposed by the MPAA), but it's just annoying. Maybe I should go find the Japanese version of Volume 1, since that's all in color. Oh well. Anyways, after seeing Volume 1, my appreciation for Volume 2 has gone up. I'll give both of them a combined four stars.

Godsend: I caught this on Friday night, I kinda liked it. Greg Kinnear and Robert DeNiro are both good, but I think a lot of Rebecca Romijn's character development was left on the cutting room floor. The little boy who plays the cloned son is also not bad, but all he really had to do was either look cute or look like he was gonna kill somebody, whichever facial expression the movie called for. The ending was kind of a letdown, but the director says he shot five endings, so maybe a better one will surface on the DVD. I'll give it three stars for effort.

Ginger Snaps 2: I rented this last night, and I was pleasently surprised. I loved the original Ginger Snaps, and this one didn't let me down. Emily Perkins steps up from her sidekick role in the original and kicks butt all over this one, though she's weighed down by her own sidekick, a goofy kid that's obsessed with comic books and likes to occasionally speak in rhyme. The gore effects were good, though most of the really good stuff was relegated to blink-and-you'll-miss-it cuts. GS2's ending has gotten a lot of flack from people, but I actually kinda liked it. Too bad GS3 (which will be out later this year) won't follow up on it. Maybe if somebody makes Ginger Snaps 4. Anyway, I'll give Ginger Snaps 2 four stars for being a fun and scary way to kill 90 minutes.

Reservoir Dogs: Wow. I've never heard a movie drop so many F-bombs in my life. I think Tarantino has Tourette's or something. Other than that, the movie isn't all that bad. QT's work got a lot better on Pulp Fiction, but Reservoir Dogs was a good start for him. I'll give it three stars because while it's good, it could have been better.

The Kentucky Derby was yesterday, and I'm glad it's over. Kentucky's news stations now have nothing to talk about, until college football season starts.

Hey, I've got a birthday in four weeks. You good readers can buy me a gift, but nobody is obligated to.

For those of you who saw my update last Sunday and wondered what Ville Valo was, I'll tell you. Ville Valo is the lead singer of Finnish goth-rock band HIM. You can check them out here or here.

That's really all I've got to say for now. Sutton out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home