Friday, March 19, 2004

More Random Musings

Happy Friday, dear readers.

Semi-quick note to Libby (and DVD collectors in general): you might want to hold back on buying the Dawn of the Dead DVD. Sometime in September, Anchor Bay is supposed to release a multi-disc special edition of the original Dawn of the Dead with three different versions of the movie on it. There's the U.S. theatrical cut, an extended cut (called the "director's cut," though George Romero prefers his theatrical version), and Dario Argento's European cut. (Released as Zombie in Europe, Argento trimmed a lot of the longer character-driven scenes, emphasizing on the action.) Unless you can't wait until September or don't mind double-dipping, I don't really see the need to buy the recently released DVD. I bought it, but that's only because it was only 15 bucks and I really wanted to own a copy of it. I also need to pick up the DVD of the Night of the Living Dead remake, just because it'd be neat to have. Maybe they'll do a remake of Day of the Dead sometime, just so the whole trilogy can be redone. While I'm thinking of it, I do find it weird that Hollywood can do a remake of Dawn of the Dead, yet they don't want to spend the money to produce Romero's fourth installment in the Dead Trilogy (titled Twilight of the Dead or Dead Reckoning, depending on who you talk to).

While I'm on the subject of the Dead Trilogy, we've got two new reviews for you up at "Sutton At The Movies." Since the remake of Dawn of the Dead debuts today, I thought I'd do a little fun advertising and give you my review of the original Dawn of the Dead from 1978 (which you can read here). And I might as well wrap up the trilogy and do Day of the Dead as well (and you can read that here). I'll also direct you to my review of the original Night of the Living Dead (click here), so you can get my views on all three parts of the trilogy. Since I doubt I'll be able to see Dawn '04 until Saturday due to circumstances beyond my control, you'll have to wait until then or Sunday for my mini-review.

The View Askew reviews will be up next Friday, so you can start counting the days. It's about time I started reviewing some non-horror movies, because I need to expand my horizons. I've got my eye on one of my favorite flicks, Braveheart, so I might do that sometime. Lost In Translation starts on pay-per-view today, and I might just review that too. Even if I don't review it, I still wanna watch it.

There's two indy wrestling shows around here this weekend, and I can't decide which one I wanna go to yet, if I go to either. I likes me some indy wrestling, but I hate decisions like this. There's an OVW show coming to the area in May, and I'll totally be there because I *heart* OVW.

Seed of Chucky just started filming in Prague, and Bloody-Disgusting.com says it has a tentative release date of October 29. I think I just might see it, as well as that remake of The Amityville Horror. I'm not too crazy about the original Amityville Horror or its sequels, but I just can't say no to a ghost story. The rumor is that it's supposed to stay a lot closer to the book about the events that took place, as opposed to taking liberties like the first movie did.

I'm watching VH1 right now, and as I type this, they're playing the video for "My Immortal" by Evanescence. It's probably one of my favorite songs right now, and the video is great too. The song is just so good, it's scary. I'm very glad I picked up their CD, because as I said a few days ago, there's not one bad song on the album.

Meanwhile, on MTV, "Meant To Live" by Switchfoot is on. I'm surprised the song is getting so much MTV play, considering all of Switchfoot's prior success came in the Christian music industry. The same goes for Stacie Orrico, who had an appearance in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and two hit music videos with "Stuck" and "(There's Gotta Be) More To Life." I'm shocked by all these Christian musicians that are going mainstream nowadays. I'm not complaining, but still, it's weird. I guess Jesus decided that since he made 500 million bucks at the box office, he wants to be on MTV too.

Thanks to my green St. Patrick's Day post, Krissie thinks I should post something in pink for her. Why pink? It shows up better on a black background. So here you are, Kris. Something in pink. I hope it makes you happy. :)

All this talk about Bruce Campbell being in Freddy vs. Jason 2 is freaking crazy. As much as I love Bruce and the "Ash" character, they should make Evil Dead 4 and keep him away from Freddy and Jason. And as much as I loved Freddy vs. Jason, I just don't have a lot of faith in a sequel. Sure, I'd go see Freddy vs. Jason 2 a million times, I'd rather see an eleventh Friday The 13th sequel or an Elm Street prequel. I think an Elm Street prequel is actually a pretty fun idea, just to see Robert Englund play Freddy for an entire movie without wearing the makeup. On the other hand, an eleventh Friday The 13th movie would be touch-and-go. They'd have to something to spice it up without being goofy (Jason X, I'm looking at you). At least with Freddy, every person has different dreams and fears, so Freddy's always at least a little different. Jason just shows up and kills you dead. The only differences from death to death are the type of weapon Jason uses, and the situations he catches his victims in. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Jason, but I just wanna see something a little out of the ordinary. Maybe he could pull a Mama Cass and kill somebody with a ham sandwich. (Doesn't that visual just make you laugh at its absurdity?)

Geez, look how late it is. I've been sitting here for three hours typing this update. The original Night of the Living Dead is on one of the Starz channels, and after that, I'm heading to bed, folks. Have a good Friday, and if you can't be good, be bad. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home