Sunday, March 21, 2004

Dawn of the Quickie Review

Got back from seeing the Dawn of the Dead remake around two hours ago, and I liked the movie a lot. It's a way different experience than the original, focusing more on action than the life of the characters inside the mall. One scene intended as an homage to the original just didn't have the same impact as it did in Dawn '78, though some of the more subtle homages were great. I also absolutely loved the cameos from Dawn '78 cast members Tom Savini, Ken Foree, and Scott Reiniger, as well as the obvious reference to Gaylen Ross (another Dawn '78 cast member). The songs in the movie really added to the movie. Hearing the upbeat sound of Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" play over the opening credits just dripped of dark humor, while a lounge version of Disturbed's "Down With The Sickness" during one scene got a big laugh from me. The scenes spliced in with the credits were also really cool. Unfortunately, the larger cast meant less character development. Some of the characters just served as cannon fodder, barely allowing any kind of sympathy over their deaths. Overall, I'll give Dawn '04 three stars, as it's a good blend of horror and action, with the occasional dash of humor. I might do a full review of it sometime soon, while I've still got my likes and dislikes in my head.

Nothing much else to talk about, so I'll wrap this up here. Sutton out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home