Saturday, October 18, 2003

Ed Gein Is Still A Total Weirdo

Saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake last night. Having never seen the original in its entirity prior to seeing the remake, I can officially say that the movie isn't bad. It's not exactly scary, but spooky. The movie is good, but it just feels... hollow, I guess. I really don't know what it is about it. Maybe it's because the movie's a remake, I guess. It gets two stars on my scale.

Fun story: I happened to be watching the credits after the movie, and at one point it says something about actual events inspiring parts of the movie. I absent-mindedly said out loud that it was fake, and two girls, who couldn't be any older than 14 or 15, that happened to be in the theater said, "It's fake?! The TV ads said it's real!" So I told them the story of Ed Gein, and they were actually relieved to discover that Leatherface and the crazy family isn't real. I also happened to notice that somebody had their two young kids and a baby with them. Who brings two little kids and a baby to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Do they see the ads and figure, "Hey, the title alone suggests it's rip-roaring fun for children of all ages!" Sigh. People are stupid.

Coincidentally, I happened to be in Wal-Mart after the movie and found the original movie on DVD for 15 bucks. I didn't even think Wal-Mart would have it, so I was a happy fat man. I've watched part of it and I like what I've seen.

You might also notice the new additions to the Blatant Movie Shilling, thanks to trailers I've seen recently: The Butterfly Effect and a remake of Dawn of the Dead. Universal Pictures doesn't have the Dawn of the Dead site up yet, but you can find the trailer by clicking here. Watch it in slow motion, and you'll see Tom Savini in a cameo as a Los Angeles cop. I thought that was pretty neat, considering he did the effects for the original Dawn of the Dead (including having a cameo), and he directed the remake of Night of the Living Dead back in 1990. Only geeks would know or care about that, and I can proudly say that I'm a geek. As for The Butterfly Effect, I saw the trailer before The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and it doesn't look too bad. It definately shows potental. You may have also noticed I added The Matrix: Revolutions to the list as well. Yeah, I figure I needed more non-horror movies on the list, and why not the third Matrix movie? I just hope they don't show Keanu Reeves's naked butt in this one. Keanu's own private Idaho isn't something I want to see in a movie.

Wow, this update ended up being longer than I expected. I'm out for now, and I might be back in the future. See ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home